Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Life in the Slowed-Down Lane

A little update on what I am doing these days (and maybe you can help me piece it all together).

First, I am working on greening my life, house, driving, eating habits, etc. I am walking to work (when there are no tornadoes expected). I am composting. Sara and the boys planted lettuce, peas, peppers, and tomatoes in a neighbor's garden (thanks Robin!). We also signed up for a 1/2 share of fruits/veggies/herbs from a local organic farm. We pick up first box on June 1 (yeah!). For the college I work for, I am brainstorming a grassroots effort to work on sustainability issues. Working name: Culver's Green Team. Financially, I am studying the SRI movement, natural investing, and ESG investing (environmental, social, and corporate governance). This is for personal preferences and also because I hope to one day help my friend Pete with his financial planning business www.krullco.com. (Krull & Company is a financial services firm specializing in Socially & Environmentally Responsible Investing. We help you align your investments with your values.)

Second, I am working on class preparation for 2 new-to-me courses next semester. New Testament - reviewing material I have previously studied. Zen, Punk Rock, and Personal Transformation - this is an First Year Experience course, my own creation, and I'm jazzed about it. We'll listen to a lot of music, sit zazen, read Brad Warner's Hardcore Zen and work on writing skills.

Third, this summer, I will be homebrewing. The equipment was donated and I have some extra malts left over from my last try (hope this batch turns out better). If its any good, I'll let you know.

Destroy what needs to be, Love the Rest,
Brent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home