Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Life You Can Save - Creating a Culture of Giving

Peter Singer argues in his latest book (http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com)

1. Suffering and death from lack of food/shelter/medical care are bad.
2. If we can prevent something bad from happening without sacrificing anything nearly as important, it is wrong not to do so.
3. By donating to aid agencies (the good ones who do good work), you/we can prevent suffering and death without much personal sacrifice.
4. If we do not donate, we are going something wrong.

Its hard to find fault with his argument. I want to find fault. You mean, if I buy that new flat-screen and spend money on something I don't need, then I am doing something wrong?

Singer goes on to defend many of the most levied-criticisms and common objections to giving. More interesting (to me at least) is his description of research showing why people give and why they don't.

1. We are more likely to give if we think that others are already doing it.
2. We are more likely to give if the person/people we are giving to are identifiable.
3. We are less likely to give when we think the situation is futile.
4. We are less likely to give if the responsibility for helping does not rest entirely on us. The phenomena is known as "The Diffusion of Responsibility."

This book has got me thinking about what I give and why and how much I give. In tough economic times, people are giving less and less especially to those groups serving the poorest of the poor.

TheLifeYouCanSave's challenge is simple. You can view he pledge here. http://www.thelifeyoucansave.com/pledge/pledge.php?curr_country=171&lang=EN

For me, its about 2% of my annual income. Not really that much. I did it (still researching who to give to). And if all American taxpayers did it, 471 billion would be raised.

Happy Giving,
Brent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home